Thursday, March 22, 2012

You are...







A few weeks ago, I was thrilled by this pin. I've been thinking about doing it ever since seeing it. Well, it is spring break, and although I have spent most of it reading (Good Reads is suggesting I increase my 2012 reading goal!), I do want to do a few things for my classroom. We start state testing next week, and I thought this would be a wonderful ego boost for the students as they return to face this daunting task.

You will notice that I changed some fonts, colors, and words, but the overall gist is the same. I am including a link to the download of mine, in case anyone wants to do this without having to recreate it. When I cut the words apart, I made the strips 2 1/2 inches wide and a 1/2 inch longer than the word at each end. The frame, then is 3 1/2 inches wide and another 1/2 wider on each end. I hope that makes sense... For "scientists," it required it to be printed in two parts, and some of the longer words have frames that are two parts as well, if you use 8 1/2 x 11 inch cardstock. I want to get these laminated before hanging, and I don't think the seams will show much after that.

Anyhow, I hope this helps or inspires.

You are...

11 comments:

  1. I couldn't find a way to contact you directly, but since it appears your blog is gaining significant interest, I wished to inform you of a typo in your personal section. Your child has been 'dual' diagnosed, not 'duel.' Otherwise, this is a lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for catching that! I tell my students not to depend on spell-check for this very reason, but I am not very good at following my advice sometimes! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THIS! I found it on pinterest and I will be putting it up on my door. Thank you!

    Mrs. Slocum
    Teacher's Don't Steal, They Share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! I'm doing this for my 4th grade classroom this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Celeste!

    We love your door display and featured it at our blog, Bulletin Board Ideas!

    You can find the full feature here:
    http://bulletinboardideas.org/4269/when-you-enter-this-classroom-back-to-school-door-display/

    We were sure to give idea/photo credit, as well as a link back to your blog, but we'd love for you to check it out. Also, we recently created a "Featured On" badge. If you're interested in it, let me know :)

    Have a wonderful school year!
    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE THIS! I did put this message on my door this year. I've gotten numerous compliments and "oohhh's and ahhhh's" from colleagues. I think the MOST rewarding of this message on my door is last week one of my students walked up to me and said, "Ms. DJ., THANKS for thinking I'm IMPORTANT!" He hugged me and went to his next class. I was melted by his sentiment. I am overjoyed and humbled that my students have taken ownership of what the message instills in their minds. This is an everyday powerful occurrence and it will stay up until June! THANK YOU! Have a FANTASTIC school year! "Teach beyond your belief!" PDJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am trying to print your I am statements and am unable....I am willing to buy them. They are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I was having trouble printing but I figured it out. You have to click file and then click allow viewers to download. Then click file again click download and it should work.

      Delete
  8. I am unable to print as well. Please let me know how. I would like to put this on my door this year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea, but am having trouble with the printing. The edge of the first letter in each word is being cut off. Does anyone have a solution?

    ReplyDelete